Mutated Bunny - The Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mutated Bunny - The Forum.

Blatherings of humankind.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?

Go down 
+8
wolfwood002
weird-like-that
Gothic Teddy
Lord_Gneo
vashtspd
Giantmoogle
Ying Fa
Kalekemo
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kalekemo
Cool-type-person
Kalekemo

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-01-19

A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Empty
PostSubject: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-22, 17:03

Quote :
[originator=Chaos Swordsman]Some parents say that most games "stimulate" violence. They go strictly by the ratings, and most of the time if it's rated T or M, they won't let their kid by it. Those type of parents also often think that just because games have violence, it will give their child ideas about killing people, or committing suicide. Others aren't so protective. What's your take on this?

Heh, I got this off another forum and wondered... "Could it be true??? Naaaa"... what's your take?
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

Number of posts : 1959
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-22, 18:49

I dont think it matters.

Parents should be allowed to censor their kids, but only to their own extent.

Kids do not learn violence from video games, they learn it from applied violence on the outside, on the real world.

Most children learn at very young age what is "make believe" and what is not.

It is the parent's fault when they do not discredit violence, and that causes children to apply violence where they wish.
Back to top Go down
Giantmoogle
Hench-person
Giantmoogle

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-22, 22:13

I've been playing games that are ever more violent and I've noticed a change. I know that I have become more agressive, but that doewsn't mean I'm definitely going to kill some one. My seven year-old second cousin plays san andreas and he is the most annoying shit I have ever met. I want that fucker to die. He is the bane of my whole familly and he everyone knows that. His mind may be tainted by the game, but my cousin also isn't a strict enough mother, so...
Back to top Go down
vashtspd
Cool-type-person

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-23, 10:19

Giantmoogle wrote:
I've been playing games that are ever more violent and I've noticed a change. I know that I have become more agressive, but that doewsn't mean I'm definitely going to kill some one. My seven year-old second cousin plays san andreas and he is the most annoying shit I have ever met. I want that fucker to die. He is the bane of my whole familly and he everyone knows that. His mind may be tainted by the game, but my cousin also isn't a strict enough mother, so...
"so...I'll have to take things into my own hands" Twisted Evil

They showed this study once where they took some young kids and let them watch half an hour of barney and then observed them afterwards, they were the same. They they let them watch an episode of TMNT and they started to kung-fu each other...it was cool.

Yes, video games do alter people, but those people are already very screwed up in the head to begin with. Some people just can't seem to see that. The media tries to blame the mental problems of the kid and the lack of parenting on video games. I was watching a report on Columbine and they started talking about how the two kids had "trained" on the game Doom for the SNES.

What would that game teach them about real life? That a 40 pixel demon-spawn will die from three A button's?

They should modify that one bumper sticker to say...

Video Games Made Me Kill Like Spoons Made Rosie O'Donnell Fat.

Oh, and here's a link for Chad.

J!NX
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

Number of posts : 1092
Registration date : 2006-11-13

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-23, 12:56

Heh, heh.

You got to this topic before me.

Oh well.

I play some of the most bloody sadistic sex filled games you can think of.

Why am I not some killer psycho?

Oh yeah, I played Sonic as a kid.

What's the point of Sonic?

Oh yeah!

Rescue baby animals from robotic imprisonments, and stop Robotnik, the guy behind it all.

As if it would have mattered anyway.
Back to top Go down
Giantmoogle
Hench-person
Giantmoogle

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-23, 17:47

Pussy. J/k
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-01-27, 15:26

I for one have never played a violent video game. Why? I find them incredibly boring. Pointless. Without end. I grew up watching Sailor Moon and Power Rangers. I also grew up playing Sonic. This may be the cause of wanting to save the world and have the ability to "transform" myself at any given moment in time. I believe if i hadnt done these things as a child i would not want to be like them now.

The point of all those things, Sonic, PR, SM, is to be strong and kick butt when you need to.

I am the biggest pussy i have ever met. And if you guys tell anybody this, i will....probably kick you really hard in the nads, but thats about it. Actually, i might cry because of the betrayal and the "hurt".

Video games and TV shows do not cause people to be violent in my opinion. In fact, its done the opposite with me. If anything, watching Sailor Moon in Japanese for about two hours allows me to better understand the language and not look down to read the subtitles so often. Power Rangers had the off effect of making me think about the back story, not the fighting. And I'm talking about the original, not the lame new ones they come out with every month or so.

So...I just dont see how playing these games will make anyone with even an ounce of common sense violent. *shrug* But, that's just my opinion.

Vash? That study you mentioned might have something to do with the gender of its participants. If they were boys, I sincerely doubt they would suddenly start hugging and kissing after watching an episode of Barney, even if they wanted to, which is what Barney goes after. Boys always want to show off at young ages. Hugging and kissing would label them otherwise. Ninja fighting? That would prove they're "tough".

However, if the experimental group had been girls, they probably would have hugged and kissed if that was the message Barney was giving off to them. They even might have "kung-fu" fought too. That's just how some kids are. Different things effect them in different ways.

I just contradicted myself didnt I? Hm. Well, i stand by my original opinion. Kids are not effected by that large of a degree, to the point of killing someone and blaming it on a video game. I dont believe that.
Back to top Go down
Gothic Teddy
Admin
Gothic Teddy

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-06

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-07, 12:12

I would say that video games release the anger that people gain from the real world. From all the stress and anything else. they may "teach" you how to do these things, but still not many act upon the mbecause they can do it allready with imaginary character within a graphically designed program that shows them what they want. It has the same effect(to most) as to do it yourself. without the consequences. thus, it's much better. If your an angry teen. go play Gears(of war). and kill some aliens with brutal force.

Teddy.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-09, 18:24

There WAS a game that inspired violence, recently... (saw this on 60 minutes)

It was called "Bum Hunter"

The name is self explantatory, you go around beating up homeless people.

I think you could get a baseball bat.

Anyway, someone in real life had gone up to a homeless guy, splashed gasoline on him, and lit him on fire.

Several others went out with bats and other weapons and brutally beat other homeless people.

Not a strike in the gamers favor...
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-09, 21:17

...I think you're thinking of "Bless the Child".

Anywho.

Stupid violence games are ....well, stupid. The pointless ones suck even more than like....HALO and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Gothic Teddy
Admin
Gothic Teddy

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-09, 23:19

Halo is one of the godly games.
And violence is very good in video games.
you kill things and get lvls.
you kill things and build hand-eye coordination
you kill things and get money.
pretty much everything has some form of violence.
and I'm tired and can't argue worth crap right now.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-10, 10:20

Yea...Halo=god's gift....

And it only affects those who are stupid enough to be controlled by it.
Back to top Go down
Gothic Teddy
Admin
Gothic Teddy

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-14, 12:32

This is a response to a woman complaining that the Wii gives childeren a false sense of reality. I liked it.

BEST RESPONSE TO VIDEO GAME COMPLAINTS
EVER

My take:
She's a jealous idiot that wishes she had cool toys when she was a kid, and is turning that cognitive dissonance into a rationalization against the thing she bought them. The idea that perhaps playing 'fake' sports might get the children interested in 'real' sports is completely lost on her, as is the completely idiotic and nation-destroying belief that winning some game is actually accomplishing anything, at all. If she wants her kids to reach actual accomplishments, she'll make sure they can read and write very well, can understand and express themselves, and can adapt to varying social situations with aplomb.

Her priorities are, in short, whacked.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-16, 03:50

FATALITY
Back to top Go down
weird-like-that
Minion
weird-like-that

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2006-12-21

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-25, 15:32

But if they're so worried why were there no ratings on games until recentlly?
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-02-26, 09:00

If by "recently" you mean Mortal Kombat. (the first one)

ESRB rating sytem' birth was from the need to warn parents about how bad Mortal Kombat was.

That's not really.......recent.....
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-06, 22:47

Only serious ratings are recent. before, they only did it to appease people, now, they believe it to be a more serious issue.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-13, 13:29

Serious issue my ass....damned people.

Let's get out of Iraq, then we can complain that our children are playing violent games.
Back to top Go down
wolfwood002
Nooblet
wolfwood002

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-03-07

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-14, 06:32

argh those parents are stoopid, its not the games that make them killers its all the crap going on at home and in there crappy life that makes them want to kill people and by some co-inkee-dink they have been playing the most popular game out there they would rather blame the game instead of their crappy parenting. whew.
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-14, 19:51

just like you are "stoopid"?

J/K
Back to top Go down
wolfwood002
Nooblet
wolfwood002

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-15, 09:15

i know lolz
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-15, 20:21

^____^

Video games and media fuel racism. They dont cause it, because most people learn it early, from parents, but i believe it can fuel it, and make the hate stronger.
Back to top Go down
wolfwood002
Nooblet
wolfwood002

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-16, 06:28

yeah i hate that people blame the bands or video games for that stuff when its been there all along and the parents havent noticed it,and then everybody else has to hear about it.
Back to top Go down
Ying Fa
Overlord
Ying Fa

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-16, 20:35

*nodnod* I agree.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Gneo
Admin
Lord_Gneo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime2007-03-22, 23:06

Okay, say they impose some word on the public against all these video games.
They don't like them.
Harsher rules will be laid down.

I'd love to see them try and stop anything ^__^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?   A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Tale of Games and Violence: Crap or Truth?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mutated Bunny - The Forum. :: Intelligent conversation-
Jump to: